Sunday, April 12, 2009

Randall Gould and Old China Hands


I came across a nice quote while re-reading Randall Gould’s great China memoir China in the Sun (1946) the other day. Gould was a veteran member of the old China press corps before the war. He happened to mention to Madame Sun Yat-sen (Soong Ching-ling) that he was thinking of writing his memoirs. She replied:

“Whatever you do, don’t write like an old China Hand, please!!” - Madame Sun (left with Dr Sun Yat-sen) disliked the old Treaty Porters.

Gould supplies a definition of what he thought should be the definition of a real old China Hand – “...someone who liked the Chinese and meant them to profit by presence as he in turn profited by the Chinese.”

Seems fair enough to me

2 comments:

Biber said...

I came across a nice quote while re-reading Randall Gould's great China memoir China in the Sun the other day. Gould was a veteran member of the old China press corps before the war.

cheapest wow gold|Tera account|Tera gold|buy eden gold|wow gold

Anonymous said...

I just now D3 Gold found the article and still have already been understanding in concert. I have to show my own love of one's producing knowledge along with chance to help to make readers experience to start with with the stop. I have to move through newerGW2 gold articles also to reveal my very own views along.