Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in Taiwan V - So Many Buildings but No Details


Whenever I stroll around central Taipei I see buildings that intrigue me, that have some how managed to escape redevelopment and look interesting. Yet, to date, I've not been able to find even a half decent guide (in either Chinese or English) to the buildings of Taipei that catalogues them in the way several very good books do now on Shanghai. Mainland China is actually quite good at cataloging buildings - I've picked up good guides in Dalian, Shenyang and other cities too. So I have no idea what any of these buildings were as additionally plaques are few and far between in Taipei too - none of them seem to be particularly preserved but they caught my eye anyway. If anyone knows a good buildings guide to Taipei please do let me know.































































2 comments:

Michael Fahey said...

There are many such books:

臺北古城深度旅遊:古城門.老街、近代建築

台北近代建築

SMC Books (http://www.smcbook.com.tw/) and the Taiwan Store (http://www.taiouan.com.tw/catalog/) will have what you are looking for or will be able to point you in the right direction.

Paul French said...

thanks - I'll check them out immediately